Friday, January 06, 2006

Biking to work again

It's great to be biking to work again. During the later part of November and pretty much all of December, Seattle had quite a cold spell. So cold it essetnially prevented me from biking to and from work. I had to resort to weekend rides in the afternoon when it was somewhat warmer than the mornings and evenings.

Essentially all I asked for for Christmas was warm biking gear. My favorite and most useful piece was a Windproof N2S jersey from Gore-Wear. Incredibly useful for cold and somewhat rainy weather.

Once I got back from vacation with family I rode to work on my first day back. Glorious, if a bit more difficult than it was the last time I rode. Except on the way back I popped one of my tires. Popped the tire so bad in fact that I ended up being forced to replace it. But I have my new tires on now and am thoroughly enjoying riding to work in the morning again.

Now I just have to deal with the rainy season up here.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Blogger Paul Watson said...

What other wet/cold weather gear do you recommend for riding? I want to ride to and from work here in Ireland but am unsure what to wear.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Jared Parsons said...

On my body I wear a Gore Phantom Plus Jacket. It's not advertised as water resistant but I've found that I can wear it in a moderate rain for around 40 minutes without my actual body getting dry. I'm looking for a very light weight water proof jacket to wear over it for the very heavy days.

For pants I wear Pearl Izumi's. Don't know the actual brand name. They're not waterproof at all but I found that waterproof pants are generally more trouble than they're worth.

On my shoes I wear water proof booties over my socks and inside my shoes. I also put on waterproof cover over my shoes (mostly standard Pearl Izumi gear).

I have yet to find a pair of gloves that I like in the rain. Unless it's terribly cold i just go without.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home