Monday, January 09, 2006

NewsAggregator for NNTP and RSS

I've been searching for a good news aggregator that combines RSS and NNTP into one UI. I've tried out a lot of different services over the last month. I'm not even 100% set on free. If there was a good enough reader out there I could be talked into paying a little bit of money for it (~$50).


But I've finally found a winner, Omea. The reader version is free and can do RSS and NNTP. It's a great interface and typically has a low memory impact on the system. You can do pretty much everything you want including


  • Minimize to the system tray

  • Add notifications to specific threads

  • Different signatures for each news server (finally!!!)

One of my more favorite features is it's ability to filter based on different sets of data. For instance it's very easy and fast to find articles posted that day, 3 days ago, by that user, etc...

There are a couple of minor downsides. The first being that the UI is a little bit unintuitive when you first start using it. After an hour though it's great.

The second is true of almost any non-web based RSS reader. Each machine maintains it's own read/not-read list. So when I go home after work all of the posts I have already read are marked as unread again at home. Omea is extendable though so I'm considering trying to write an add-in that will keep a an already read list in a centralized location of sorts. We'll see if I ever get around to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home